Saturday, June 20, 2015

Meet Miss Mary our " I am Beautiful " ambassador for May 2015


 First let me say that meeting Mary and her mother has been one of my favorite moments since starting back doing family photography. They traveled to Savannah from Charleston, SC to do the session and I could not be more thankful. 
The blessing I received that afternoon spending time with Mary will forever hold a very special place in my heart. 

 Here is Mary and her mother's take on the day.

Fourteen-year-old Mary Bey is hot and exhausted when she climbs out of her mother’s grey Honda Civic. 
It has been a long drive, yet she offers a weary smile upon meeting her photographer, Cherry.
Mary is a teen living with Tourette’s syndrome, a neurological disorder that gives the sufferer strong urges to do repetitive sounds and movements, called tics. Despite her bubbly, unique personality, this condition along with other minor issues such as ADHD and her hyper, peculiar ways have been the cause of daily bullying since she entered middle school. Today Mary will be part of something special, part of a project that selects one bullied child each month to be photographed for free, given a fantastic photoshoot to tell them something that have never been told before, never been allowed to believe.
I am beautiful...

The idea that this magic called “photography” could make her beautiful seems impossible at first as she awkwardly stands in front of a camera.  After several pictures are taken, however, something changes. After many half-hearted attempts to pose, she looks directly into the camera. And her eyes, big, blue-green, take on a surreal quality -Mysterious, penetrating, desirable, like those of a model.
For the first time in a long time, Mary feels beautiful.
“You’re a natural,” The photographer tells her as she snaps yet another picture.
The time seems to fly by for both of them, and before you know it the two are laughing and joking, and Mary begins to open up about herself, revealing she is somewhat of an artist herself, possessing a talent for writing and drawing as well as a sense of humor.
“Sorry,” She says jokingly, pointing at the camera which has begun to twitch slightly as it tries to zoom in.
"Guess I gave your camera Tourette’s .”
At which all I could do was giggle.. Mary has ways of saying things that would totally catch me off guard and just crack me up... I wish I could remember all of her little Mary~isums..  
She kept me on my toes and I loved every moment with her.



 Mary does however have a serious side, and when asked why she thinks others bully her, here’s what she has to say.
“Well, I think it doesn’t have anything to do with my looks, nor my personality. 
It’s the parts of me that are different, the parts that they can’t cope with that causes them to be so mean. They’re too big of wimps to step outside of their comfort zone and be friends with a freak like me.  And you know what, that’s their loss.”
I could not agree more, totally their loss..
 Thank you so much to Mary and her mother for being apart of the "I am Beautiful project". 
 Mary my wish is you will always believe in yourself. That you will continue to share that wicked little sense of humor of yours and that you never, ever forget that you are BEAUTIFUL.  
Thank you so much for your bravery and courage in sharing your story.
Always remember ~ You are strong, you are brave, you are loved and you are beautiful.
big hugs, Cherry
 If you know of a child/ teen that would like to be apart of the

Love a photo and want to see more, simply click it to enlarge. Hugs, Cherry

1 comment:

Sheryl Bey said...

We are speechless!!!! The photos are gorgeous as is the smile on my daughters face. She is overjoyed in seeing the beautiful photos and is on cloud nine!! You are so talented and we are so grateful!! Thank you for making a difference in my daughters life!