Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The "I am Beautiful" project ~ January

 I am so honored to introduce you to my first ambassador for the "I am Beautiful" project.
 If you are not familiar with the project you can read all about it
 HERE "I am Beautiful" project

When I put the information out there that I was looking for children/ teens
that would like to share their stories to bring awareness to bullying and low self esteem.
 I was blown away at the response.
Every person that I tell about this project in-turn tells me a story about a child they know.

Today I would like to introduce you to Kristen...


 When Kristen stepped out of the car I was in awe.
I thought to myself what a beautiful young woman and then I thought
 how in this world could such a beautiful child be bullied?
I watched her walk towards the horses and watched as they came towards her.
Now if you have ever been around horses you know they have a sense about them.
They know when they are in the presence of a kind and gentle soul.
I knew at that moment Kristen was just that a kind and beautiful soul..


Kristen's mom wrote me telling me about the struggles that they as a family have been through
 in the last few years with the bullying. How they have had to move several times to try and get
into a school district that would acknowledge the problem and try to help.


Her mom told me how even thru all of this Kristen kept her grades up and even took honors classes.
She told me how the torment had crushed Kristen's self-esteem and has made her timid and shy.


They have finally found a school that cares about their youth and Kristen is excelling.
She has a part time job and she loves to draw.
She shared some of her drawings with me and man she has mad talent.
 

As I am taking her pictures, I am still thinking to myself why would anyone want to bully Kristen?
As you can see she is stunning.



She is completely adorable, she is funny, she is talented, she is...


There, there it is...
She is not being bullied because of anything she did..
She is being bullied for just being herself and that my friend is what is so sad about all of this..
 That our youth and some adults find it easier to rip others apart
 instead of finding the beautiful in each other.


My hope and prayers are that Kristen will continue to grow and excel.
That she will always follow her dreams..
That she will keep that little bit of rock in roll along with the sweetness..
That one day she will know how beautiful she is and others will see
 beyond her physical beauty and love her for being herself
 and the beautiful gifts she brings to this world.


 I was so nervous about this shoot that I could not sleep the night before.
I asked everyone for prayers, that I would be able to touch this child's heart in some way.
Well the blessing was all mine. My heart was touched in a way that I can not begin to explain.
Meeting Kristen and her mom, the hugs, tears and thank you's that were shared
 filled me like nothing I have ever experienced.


Kristen honey, thank you so much for sharing your story.
Thank you for your bravery and courage.
Always remember ~ You are strong, you are brave, you are loved and you are beautiful.
big hugs, Cherry

 Message to me from mom ~
 I just want to say that I am so thankful for you making Kristen feel so special today!
She absolutely felt beautiful during your photos shoot!
This experience was such a blessing and has definitely lifted her spirit.
I am hoping that her story helps someone else who has or is being bullied.
She just wants people to know that ANYONE can be bullied.
Again, thank you for your time and kindness and for taking on such a project.
 This experience we will cherish for a lifetime!


Please email me if you know of a child or teen in Savannah or surrounding counties
 that you would like to nominate for the "I am Beautiful" project
or if you would like to donate your time or talents to the " I am Beautiful" project
we are in need of photographers in all of our counties.
cherrydevereauxphotography@gmail.com


you may click on any picture to enlarge it

8 comments:

Charlene Toole said...

It is so sad that these children have to be bullied. And I think a lot of it starts with the parent. I know if I ever hear of my child bullying someone it will be the last. It strips someone's joy and confidence. Kristen you look beautiful and I'm glad you did this.. maybe by this you are able to help someone overcome being bullied like you have.. And Cherry you will be so blessed helping these children.. Charlene

cherry said...

As most of ya'll know my sister Cherry Gaskins Devereaux has a heart of gold,, She is so excited about her next chapter in her life.. the " I am Beautiful project " Here is the 1st young lady story and photo shoot. Please read and share with others, If you know someone that would benefit from this wonderful project please let my Sister know Cherry Devereaux Photography she is very talented and loves what she does,, I love to watch her while she is doing a shoot she gets so lost in it you can tell it is all about her subject that she is shooting.. Kristen I didn't get to meet you and I'm sure it was my loss. But your are a very beautiful young lady always hold your head high so everyone can see those pretty blue eyes..

cherry said...

Kim Hummel to~ Kristen hold your head up high & ignore those bullies you are a beautiful young lady, a lot of the times bullies are jealous of how you look or how smart you are. I know you can't see it now but these school yard bullies will be a thing of your past one day & you will rise above them all & become a stronger woman in spite of them. Just remember they are the ones who have the sad lives by not taking the time to get to know the real you. That's their loss not yours. You are a bright & beautiful young lady on a path to great things.

cherry said...

Cristle Gaskins Chaney shared with the I Am Beautiful Project Georgia, Chapter USA's.

Wow! Not only do I look up to my aunt and try to do my best to be like her as I grew up. She takes the best photos ever and she is the best writer for words. I tear up as I read this story and think to myself all the stress and hard times I had in school myself. You can never be prefect enough for anyone. Keep your head up pretty girl this world is so mean no matter what u say or do its never right to bully anyone. May this be a lesson to everyone please think about what you do and say to people. You may think your being funny and cool when your with your friends trash talking someone but, You are hurting people more than you will ever probably know. God please wrap your hands around her and keep her under your wing.

tha_goddess31 said...

I'd be interested in helping out with this. I'm a photographer. My email is southernxposure34@aol.com

Lela Johnson said...

This is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Great pictures! Great cause to be involved with!

Elena said...

I am so thankful that we were selected to be a part of this project. I can not express how this has lifted Kristen's spirit. Cherry, you helped bring a smile back to my daughters face. I am forever grateful to you for you sharing your time, heart, and talents. This is such a wonderful cause. Thank you for taking it on. You have changed our lives and I'm certain that you are well on your way to change many more!